Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sweet Sovereignty: A Month Without Sugar

A few months ago I wrote about the politics of sugar and why it's a good idea to eat less of the sweet stuff. Because studies show that sugar is as addictive as heroin and cocaine, breeds parasites, and suppresses the immune system among a long list of negative health effects, I decided to take the first step in leveling off my sugar consumption and go 31 days without it.

While a month isn’t nearly enough to kick the sugar habit, it was a sufficient amount of time to notice significant positive physical and mental changes. Though I’ve heard that the first three days are the most difficult to get through, with symptoms of withdrawal usually consisting of headaches and irritability, the experience is different for everyone. For me, the first three days were a breeze, as was the rest of the week.

Then, around the seventh day I was hit hard by an intense headache and a horrible mood. The angry monster that was used to being treated to a chocolate buffet came out wanting its fix! It was made worse from not eating properly that day; in fact, that was probably what awoke it in the first place.

The key to eating less sugar or none at all is to eat proper food at all meals. It’s simple, but can be a challenge for those who aren’t in the habit of pairing -and very importantly, planning- balanced meals of protein, carbohydrates and veggies. The biggest downfall for many people is that they wait until they are near starvation point before they think about what to eat. Then they grab the nearest quickly available food, which most often is something loaded with sugar.


Did you know?? “Eating or drinking 100 grams (8 tbsp.) of sugar, the equivalent of two- and-a-half 12-ounce cans of soda, can reduce the ability of white blood cells to kill germs by 40 percent. The immune-suppressing effect of sugar starts less than thirty minutes after ingestion and may last for five hours.”

By having balanced meals and keeping fruit and snacks on hand, the benefits of going off sugar quickly become noticeable. By the third week, my usual sugar cravings started to transform. One day, as lunchtime neared, the image of a fresh salad popped into my mind. It was a strange apparition, since I generally don’t like salad; to me, it requires too much chewing and leaves me ravenous. But, as my body was getting used to eating less fast carbohydrates, the idea of a salad with crisp peppers, cherry tomatoes and tangy dressing became irresistible. I went to a deli around the corner, got some salad and chowed it down as if it were a plate of brownies. (And very importantly, had actual food –protein, carbs and vegetables- after the salad.)

Other changes during the month that came from eating less sugar were that my skin became clearer and that my emotions felt more balanced. Instead of getting sugar highs and crashes, I felt the difference of my blood sugar being more stable. However, because my body was used to getting energy quickly from sugar and white bread, I did feel a bit more tired as it worked to extract the energy from food that absorbs more slowly into the bloodstream. For that reason, a good idea is to have a spoonful of honey each day to give your body some sugar that it can easily integrate.

Overall, minimizing sugar intake is a way to claim your sovereignty. Independent from sweet cravings, the sugar industry that makes billions of dollars from people’s addictions, and the resulting poor health caused by bacteria and viruses that feed off sugar, the path toward living one's true purpose is clearer and just as sweet.

No comments: